Saturday, August 3, 2013

How we have made it this far...

Eleven years of marriage. Eighteen years of being a couple, no breakups (but a few nasty fights into the wee hours of the morning because we refuse to sleep apart or go to bed angry). One beautiful, perfect wedding. Five homes in two different states. Two different police agencies. Six wretched months of unemployment. One giant, uprooting, painful move from which God is still working his astonishing, astounding, and profound good. A month and a half of living with our parents in between moves. Four years of college and four of graduate school, followed by eight different jobs for me. Two years of infertility. Two babies, beautiful girls that stole our hearts and take our breath away, with their beauty, their sweetness, and with how hard they make us laugh at ages five and seven. Two cats and two fish. One critical incident. Two trials. Two distinct moments where I held my breath on the phone as I waited for him to tell me the verdict. Once, my world crumbled. The second time, it stayed intact. Two tough years with too much silence and too much pain in the waiting, but not enough to throw in the towel, thank God. Eight years before in which to grow strong together, and one year since to see how much stronger and deeper we are, having weathered the storm. He is a part of me, and when part of you is hurting, you do not cut it off and throw it away. You take it to a good doctor, spending all you have if necessary to make it better. God is our Great Physician. Without Him at the center of our marriage we could not have made it. I feel such joy in our marriage, such security and contentment, and I know we both appreciate how hard we fought to get here; how much sweeter the victory is when we look at where we have been. God was carrying us in the difficult times, and he carries us now. "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12-13

1 comment: