Monday, January 20, 2014

Not Just A Job

Remember that this is not just a job to him. It is part of his identity, being a peacemaker; who he is. It is a brotherhood, and each day he has to let go of you, knowing that he might not come home because of the choice to step in and save someone else. You must treat your time together as a precious gift, with no guarantee of tomorrow. That is one thing that we police wives have that most people will never understand- we know that our time together is precious. At our best, we love deeply, passionately, unselfishly, knowing that at any moment, our beloved may be called upon to give up his life for another. That is why we are always so incredibly proud of our spouses, and why we become so incredibly angry at people who badmouth them. We know all of what could be, and still we kiss him goodbye, send him off to another night of work, and then come inside and smile at our children, clean up dinner, get everyone to bed, and close our eyes on the pillow, asking “God, my husband belongs to You. I give him up to You. Please protect him, and bring him home to me safely.” And we fall asleep as our husband begins his shift. We can do this because we are rooted in Jesus; because we know that whatever happens, we can have peace and strength; and because God will make us ready to handle the storm as it comes and walk through it with us. “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).

3 comments:

  1. I really needed a little pick me up tonight as my husband works clear through his shift into the next didn't make it home for dinner and I just wanted to be angry. I forced myself to be happy and just tell him I was proud and then started searching "be a better police wife" and found this. Thank you and God bless. From Alabama! -mrs.paul adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across this blog and I am so glad I did! I am engaged to a police officer and this has been the hardest journey of my life. I was really in need of a pick me up because I was finding myself becoming very angry. Like when he worked 6 hours of overtime for every single shift last week and was coming home as I was leaving for work in the morning. This occurs almost every week and I can feel myself becoming resentful when I cook the nice dinner he asked for only for it to get stone cold on the counter for the 3rd time that week. Thank you for the wonderful blog post! I needed to see this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet encouragement! I'm so glad you found me, and that I could help you carry the burden! I'm just settling down from Christmas celebrations with three kiddos and my husband working through the whole weekend, and so I'm walking through this myself. Please remember that God sees you completely, and is so proud of what you do in love to care for and honor your husband, cold food and all! May God bless you, give you peace, and make what you have to give each day enough. Blessings!

      Delete