Monday, July 18, 2016

How Do I Get Through Today?

I don't watch the news, so it always starts with a phone call from my husband. "Did you hear what happened in Baton Rouge?" My heart drops into my stomach. "No." "Three more were killed." And then I ask if he's okay, and tell him I'm sorry, and we say we love each other and hang up. And now, with the whole day still ahead of me until he comes home and I can see his face, hold him, and be certain I am not a widow today, I have to figure out how to be okay. If you are a police wife, these are times we need each other in our law enforcement family. Everyone else we know feels sad, and feels that the world is falling apart, but that doesn't quite touch how we feel. A man just like our husband went to work to do what our husband does, wearing the uniform our husband wears, and was killed for it. Now a woman just like us with kids just like ours will wait for her husband to come home so she can hold him and know that she is not a widow today, except he won't come. Other officers will come to her door, deliver the horrible news, and she will have to tell her children that their father will not ever come home again, that the evil today was more than he could fight off, and that they will not see him again on this side of heaven. My heart comes unraveled for her, for those children,and for the days ahead of them. I think of her while I do the dishes, and wonder if she will be able to find peace and comfort. I pray for her like I know her, and I plead that she and her children will be provided for, that there will be strength and comfort for them today. The loss is personal, the tears flow, and my heart aches. So how can I get through today? After talking with a few police wife friends, this is what we have to offer you, in case you are crying over your kitchen sink like we are. 1. Grieve. Cry. This is our family, our brothers and sisters, not just a news story. We don't have to be fine. This is our loss too, and it hurts. 2. Unplug. Get the details of the story that you need, and then stop reading about it or watching it unfold. It just makes my blood pressure skyrocket to hear the comments of people who don't understand, or who want us to feel sorry for murderers. Turn it off. 3. Connect with friends who understand. Now is not the time to listen to the advice of people who don't get it. I can tell my best friend, who happens to be a police wife, that I am sad, and she doesn't tell me that at least it hasn't happened near us yet. We both know geography is no safety net. We can be angry about it to each other without needing to post all our thoughts on Facebook. We can cry together, hug each other, and be a comfort. 4. Pray. Nothing is going to fix this mess but God, since he is the only one who has the power to change hearts. Pray that the people who hate the police would have a change of heart, that God would convict their hearts of sin, that he would protect the officers who are doing all they can to protect us all, and that he would comfort the widows, the children, and the families of the fallen officers. Pray that God would keep your heart at peace, that he would free you from the anxiety that threatens to strangle you sometimes, and that you would be able to show his love and compassion to the people around you. Our pastor said on Sunday that it is our response to deep hurts that will influence the hearts of others. 5. Save your wisdom for people who will hear it. There are a lot of foolish people out there spouting off a lot of nonsense about why this is happening. Idiots are going to keep on being idiots even in the face of reason. Don't bother trying to enlighten people like that. Some people actually want to understand things like evidence, facts, and statistics, and those are the ones you can talk to. Leave the rest alone. 6. Have hope. There will be justice, but this world is broken and fallen, and sometimes justice will not be served until Act II. God is not slow, forgetful, or political. His justice will be swift and complete when his time is right. We have to rest in that knowledge when it seems that wicked people are having their way in the world. The story is not over, but when it is, you can be sure that everyone will reap what they have sowed, and there will be justice.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a new police wife, I find this post comforting and very helpful. I will say that the first thing that I have learned since my husband starting in law enforcement is the family that we have gained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney! It's good to have people we can lean on! May God strengthen you on this road of being a police wife, and fill you with His love and peace so you can be a strong support for your husband.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing- let's be strong together. Praying for peace and solitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking for a blog from a police wife and found yours tonight. You put into type exactly how I have been feeling. My husband is a 27 year veteran of our Sheriff's Dept. We have been married for 15 years and have four kids. These recent events have shaken me more than any other time in my husband's career. It feels personal. I feel heartbroken. I cry when I see the flags at half staff. My friends don't quite understand. To quote you, " Everyone else we know feels sad, and feels that the world is falling apart, but that doesn't quite touch how we feel." That is EXACTLY how I've been feeling. I am not close to any other LEO wives so I didn't know if how I am feeling is normal. Thank you so much for showing me that I am not alone! I appreciate your article so much! And thank you so much for pointing us to God. We pray for my husband every day he's on duty, and for all the other officers when he's home. I know God has him, but it's definitely gotten harder to let my husband go to work these last two weeks. Thanks again for your post. It was such an encouragement to me!

    From an LEO Wife in MN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement to me! To show you that you are not alone is exactly why I write. I'm so thankful that it encouraged you. May God bless you and protect your husband, and give your heart peace!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I too have been searching online to find support and encouragement for wives of police officers and found your blog.

    LEO wife in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I am so glad you found me, and I hope you are encouraged. God bless!

      Delete