Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Freedom of the Press, or Libel?

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. I don't believe reporters actually understand the difference between the two, unless the tables were turned and someone began slandering their names. When your loved one's name shows up in the local paper and he is vilified for doing his job, how do you respond? What is your gut response, or the response you give to friends, or the response you give to the ignorant busybody in the grocery store line who engages you in conversation about the critical incident your beloved was involved in, and they don't know who you are? Do you get angry? Do you remain calm and act like you don't know anything? Do you have a smart comment ready, or do you just nod and say, "That's so sad"? I have a physical reaction of nausea and disgust whenever I see or hear a particular newspaper name because of the callous, one-sided, and malicious way they have gone after my husband. I feel the need to simultaneously scream and vomit whenever I see someone selling subscriptions for this paper outside of my grocery store. I am a sane person, and I do have some self-control left, so I keep a grip on my emotions and keep on walking, pretending I am not bothered. But then I think about it for a long time afterwards, planning what I would say to the reporter who has this horrible undercurrent of hatred for law enforcement. I would say, "Why do you hate this group of people whose calling is to protect you? Why do you dislike people who kiss their wives and children and walk out the door to defend rules and maintain order? Do you have a disdain for the law, because you don't seem to want it enforced? Do you hate justice? Do you look at cops and only see the high school jocks and bullies who pushed you around? These are not those men. These men have honor. They are men of the old code. They are part of a brotherhood, bound together by a need to see the right thing done. They are people with a strong sense of respect, duty, and commitment. And despite the garbage you write, they would still show up to your call and protect you, if only to prove you wrong. Yes, there are the bad apples, who somehow manage to get into law enforcement careers and then abuse their power. But guess what? Other cops don't even like those guys. And you cannot vilify all police officers based on the actions of the few rotten ones, just like I can't despise all reporters based on your actions alone." Then I have thoughts of inviting them over for dinner so they can see that we are real people, that my husband is an amazing father, a kind and wonderful husband, a loyal friend. But the truth is, that would only sway a logical and thoughtful person. Angry newspaper reporters who write malicious trash about good police officers are hatemongers; they are irrational, thoughtless beasts, and giving them any truth would be casting pearls before swine. So I take a deep breath. I quote Notting Hill, when Hugh Grant tells Julia Roberts "Today's newspapers will be lining tomorrow's waste-paper bins." And I thoroughly admire my husband, who can read what has been written, set it aside, and go on with his day as if nothing has happened. I know it must hurt him, because he has a heart, and feelings, but he doesn't let that hurt stop him from being a good cop. He will respond to the next call, and the next, and the next with the same level of professionalism and compassion that has carried him this far. He will treat people with far more respect than they treat him. He will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment